Tuesday, January 3, 2023

southbound home continues--an eventful day

after staying in Baltimore for an overnite stopping by the famed Broadway Diner  we headed southbound toward home... a bit on the kewl side with some cloudy skies we continued thru Maryland on I-97 passing Ellicott City and then on to Rt 301 our choice of passage until we got south of and avoiding Washington DC traffic where we picked up I-95 just north of Richmond, Virginia crossing over into North Carolina.. then the 'fun' began.. there's always a story

about 40 miles south into North Carolina on I-95 we were passing a closed NC Truck Weigh Station stop .. they are similar to rest areas only used by the NC Highway Patrol to weigh trucks..  as we passed I saw a Trooper on the ground next to his SUV patrol unit wrestling with a guy.. Pat said he was definitely having trouble..I immediately pulled over onto the exit ramp of the truck weigh station.. then proceeded to back up toward the Police Unit a couple of hundred yards..  it just happens having been in law enforcement for 20 years.. just had to help out.. I jumped out of my truck and ran toward the Trooper.. told him I was a retired cop and asked him what he needed me to do.. he said he couldn't get the second handcuff on the perp and he continued to wail and fight the Trooper... I reached down and grabbed the perp's arm telling him in no uncertain terms he was going to lose the battle... the Trooper finally was able to handcuff the guy as we both held on to him and we both picked him up and placed him in the Trooper's patrol unit

the Trooper stopped the perp's vehicle where he wasn't supposed to be--inside the truck weigh station.. the Trooper found a loaded Glock 17 handgun in the car  as well as numerous illegal drugs  along with the perp being intoxicated..  the perp's car was stolen out of Charlotte NC.. and was wanted on several criminal warrants including having stolen a second car there.. a couple of local Nash County Sheriff's vehicles pulled up to the scene after it was all over.. better late than never..  another passerby stopped them down the road and advised them what he saw us doing.. I spoke to all .. they all thanked me for stopping to help.. I spoke to the Trooper at length and he thanked me many times.. I told him it's just natural as law enforcement never seems to leave you even after being retired so many years..  I told him maybe some day he'd get the chance to assist like I did.. it's a 'blue-brotherhood'.. he called me at home the next day once again thanking me.. a good guy.. I told him I was glad to help as much as I could..

after about a half hour at the scene we contined our journey home arriving at 6pm.. 

just another drive along the infamous Interstate 95 corridor..








Enfield, NC  Truck Weigh Station.. Pat snapped the pics 





Sheriffs at scene after perp in custody


as I wave about to leave the scene

No comments:

Post a Comment